“The Batman”'s Jeffrey Wright bashes 'f---ing racist and stupid' response to his Jim Gordon role

<p>-

  • "The Batman"'s Jeffrey Wright bashes 'f---ing racist and stupid' response to his Jim Gordon role</p>

<p>Lauren HuffSeptember 3, 2025 at 3:38 AM</p>

<p>Jonathan Olley/Warner Bros.</p>

<p>Jeffrey Wright as Lt. Jim Gordon in 'The Batman'</p>

<p>Jeffrey Wright is clapping back at negative reactions to his casting as Lieut. Jim Gordon in The Batman.</p>

<p>The Highest 2 Lowest star is eager to get started on the film's sequel next year, but has some choice words for those who didn't want him to play Gotham's police force leader in the first place.</p>

<p>"I really find it fascinating the ways in which there's such a conversation, and I think even more of a conversation now, about Black characters in these roles," Wright told Collider, which noted he appeared "visibly frustrated." "It's just so f---ing racist and stupid. It's just so blind in a way that I find revealing to not recognize that the evolution of these films reflects the evolution of society, that somehow it's defiling this franchise not to keep it grounded in the cultural reality of 1939, when the comic books were first published. It's just the dumbest thing. It's absent all logic."</p>

<p>Matt Reeves' 2022 hit was a unique noir take on the popular comic book character, and Wright's casting reflected that, the actor pointed out.</p>

<p>"What I love about our Batman is how gritty and granular and accessible it is. Ours is a Gotham that's born out of '70s noir in terms of its cinematic aesthetic — '70s noir New York," he explained. "Obviously, New York City is the template for Gotham, and if you look around New York City in the '70s, or if you look around New York City, of course, today, it's a multicultural place. So, any Gotham within a contemporary film in the Batman series that's going to be authentic has to be reflective of a modern American metropolis. That's just what it is."</p>

<p>Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty</p>

<p>Jeffrey Wright attends the 'Highest 2 Lowest' New York premiere on August 11, 2025</p>

<p>Want more movie news? Sign up for Entertainment Weekly's free newsletter to get the latest trailers, celebrity interviews, film reviews, and more.</p>

<p>Wright's goal with his take on Jim Gordon has always been to modernize him, while keeping him true to the qualities of the original comic book character first created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger, he told the outlet.</p>

<p>"The thing is, as well, I feel that I own these stories as much as anyone. Perhaps now, because I'm a part of them, I have the most skin in the game," he said, adding, "Bob Kane and Bill Finger are two Jewish guys up in the Bronx, imagining heroes and villains in a city that looked like the city around them at the time, but I think what they imagined was open-ended. I think that the success and the longevity of these stories and characters are owing to the openness of their imaginations and what they created."</p>

<p>Wright is expected to return to the role of Lt. Gordon in The Batman Part II alongside Robert Pattinson, who returns as Batman/Bruce Wayne. The film is slated for release on Oct. 1, 2027.</p>

<p>on Entertainment Weekly</p>

<a href="https://data852.click/5a32cd58501e613bf372/ee0a75caf0/?placementName=default" class="dirlink-1">Original Article on Source</a>

Source: "AOL Entertainment"

Читать на сайте


Source: AsherMag

Full Article on Source: VOUX MAG

#LALifestyle #USCelebrities

Post a Comment

0 Comments